Willpower Tips, Day 21 or 21. Keeping Behavior Consistent.
Congratulations to anyone who has read all the way through!
The times when I use this tip have mostly been about environment-related willpower challenges.
- scooping stuff into the rubbish vs. expending slightly more effort to put it in the compost bin
- wiping something with a cloth then rinsing out the cloth rather than using a paper towel.
When I get the urge to do goal-inconsistent behavior, I think to myself “Would I be happy to take this particular easier route everyday?”
For the above examples, the answer is No.
For some other examples, the answer is Yes, at least for the moment (e.g., using baking paper for cooking increases the chances of me cooking but I know it’s not environmentally friendly).
Aiming for keeping my behavior consistent has definitely reduced the times when I cheat on my willpower goals due to the Cognitive Distortion “I’ve been good previously, so it’s ok to do something goal-inconsistent now.”
Can you see you can combine a moderate approach and behavioral consistency?
Applying this to your meditation/exercise/yoga practice.
This approach could be applied to your meditation/exercise/yoga practice. Trying to do the same consistent amount each day is likely to increase the chance of you sticking at it. Choose an amount that you’re willing to do on a forever basis, and stick to the same consistent amount.
I’ll be on leave till April 15 so expect a break in blog posts.
Choose a Topic to Read More...
- 21 Days of Tips about Willpower (21)
- 30, 15, and 10 Day Personal Projects Guides (5)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) (39)
- Adult ADHD (7)
- Anxiety (122)
- Avoidant Coping (21)
- Bipolar Disorder (4)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (120)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy CBT Podcast (2)
- Depression (93)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) (4)
- Exercise (4)
- Happiness (86)
- Healthy Eating (39)
- Mindfulness (15)
- Parenting (10)
- Perfectionism (1)
- Positive Psychology (36)
- Procrastination (13)
- Psychology Trends (7)
- Relationships (76)
- Self Esteem (60)
- Self-Compassion (11)
- Sleep (2)
- Social Anxiety (21)
- Stress (6)
- Travel psychology (3)
- Worry (17)